Thursday, September 13, 2018

Student Voice with Flipgrid

Image result for flipgrid
I have recently discovered a technology tool called Flipgrid that seems so simple but is packed with possibilities for empowering students and helping them share their voices and connect with their peers. I played around a bit with Flipgrid at a recent professional development and could immediately tell this was a fantastic tool to use with students in the library. I found that other school librarians are talking about this tool on their blogs, like Nikki D. Robertson on her blog The Incredibly True Adventures of a School Librarian. Her post titled My Top 10 Go To Techs of 2017 include ideas on how to use Flipgrid in the library. 

Image result for flipgrid
The possibilities seem limitless! Just a few things students can do with Flipgrid videos: beginning of the year introductions, book reviews and recommendations, posing Q&A on topics of interest, sharing ideas and opinions on basically anything, brief presentations on things they've learned or discovered lately, and the list goes on. Students can view each other's videos and comment, while the teacher/school 
librarian controls access for safe sharing. 


Image result for flipgrid

Educators can team up with GridPals to offer students opportunities to collaborate with their peers across the globe! Flipgrid seems to offer incredible opportunities for building 21st Century Skills with students and empowering them to use their voices. 


In all the excitement of introducing a new technology tool, concept, or approach in a school setting, it is important to remember that it is not the technology itself that can make the difference, it is the "people who plan with, teach with, and learn with the technology" (Overbay, Mollette, & Vasu, 2011, p. 56). Even though incorporating Flipgrid in the school library may seem like a simple (yet fantastic) approach, I still plan on building the enthusiasm with teachers first. Sharing this tool with teachers, working with them collaboratively, and finding ways to effectively incorporating it in students' learning would come before trying to use this tool on my own. 


Image result for flipgrid



Resources:

Flipgrid (2018). Where social learning happens. Retrieved from https://info.flipgrid.com/

McClelland, B. (n.d.). Bonnie's #gridpals adventure passport [Google Slides]. Retrieved from https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1A0CREsAzXsb1PMrnwge9DwWsDCLxACqnQ5B2uqtF-zc/edit#slide=id.g3dbc79633e_0_190

Overbay, A., Mollette, M., & Vasu, E. S. (2011). A technology plan that works. Educational Leadership 68(5), 56-59. 

P21 (2016). Framework for 21st century skills [PDF document]. Retrieved from http://www.p21.org/storage/documents/docs/P21_framework_0816.pdf

Robertson, N. D. (2018, January 1). My top 10 go to techs of 2017. Retrieved from http://www.nikkidrobertson.com/search?q=green+screen&updated-max=2017-10-15T15:22:00-04:00&max-results=20&start=1&by-date=false


4 comments:

  1. Wow just wanted to pop in and say great minds think alike. I also recently discovered FlipGrid and did a blog share on it. I shared an older blog though. FlipGrid is definitely a tech tool that will be around for the ages. I can't wait to see what you do with it in your library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out Flipgrid and it sounds amazing! I like the idea of gridpals. That would be great for students at my school to communicate with kids from other countries. We are an IB (International Baccalaureate) school and one of our big focuses is learning about cultural diversity, so this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flipgrid is a really great tool! I used it some as a classroom teacher. It made for really great discussions on topics from my fifth graders because they LOVED it. I like the idea of using it for book reviews and reading your blog as sparked my creativity to revisit this great tool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flipgrid looks like it would be a great addition to a school library program and within classrooms too! I can see this really taking off in middle and high schools. I have to say that the one element that I thought was really unique and cool was that students have the ability to collaborate with other students globally through the means of GridPals. I think that feature is amazing and creates such an amazing opportunity for students to experience new and different ideas as well as teaching them how to interact and collaborate with others who may have different ideas and viewpoints based on life experiences.

    ReplyDelete