Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Kahoot!

Image result for test clipart 


Can quizzes be fun?





Actually, yes! Kahoot is a fun way to engage students with quizzes, trivia, and surveys. With Kahoot, answering questions feels more like playing a game than taking a quiz! 




Image result for kahootTo get Kahoot, go to www.kahoot.com and create your free account. You can browse from Kahoot quizzes, polls, surveys, and trivia already created, or create your own questions that meet your specific instructional purposes. Students can use their own devices and go to kahoot.it and enter the specific Kahoot game pin and their name. 



Once the Kahoot game has started, the questions will display on the teacher's screen, preferably something large enough for all students to view such as a Smart Board, Promethean Board, etc. Multiple answers are displayed along with a designated color and shape for each answer. Students respond on their own devices by selecting the color and shape that correlate with their answer choice. 


Image result for kahoot screenshotWhen all answers have been submitted, or time runs out, the results will display on the teacher's screen, giving students prompt feedback on their responses. Students enjoy the fast-paced, friendly-competition atmosphere that Kahoot creates. Teachers enjoy how engaged and enthusiastic students are about testing their knowledge. 


Check out the resources below for more tips, tricks, and ideas 
on how to incorporate Kahoot in your classroom!




 Kahoot 4 Ways To Use In The Class


Introducing the Kahoot! game pin



Resources:

Kesler, C. (2015, October 1). 4 ways to use Kahoot in the classroom. Retrieved from https://www.keslerscience.com/4-ways-to-use-kahoot-in-the-classroom/

Mault, D. (2016, May 11). Using Kahoot in the classroom [Youtube video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Pf9stZ1No

Mueller, M. (2017, April 10). 8 ways to use Kahoot! Beyond the basics. Retrieved from https://kahoot.com/blog/2017/04/10/8-ways-use-kahoot-beyond-basics/

What's new at Kahoot! (2018). Retrieved from https://kahoot.com/welcomeback/

7 comments:

  1. Alexandra I have used Kahoot when I was a classroom teacher. The students always seemed to really enjoy playing. The more I used it I realized that the only students really participating and benefiting from the quiz were my higher students. My low performers and ESOL students really could not keep up. That is when I started to do the Kahoot in small groups and differentiated the quizzes to meet their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My high school students really enjoyed using Kahoot! I liked how easy it was to find quizzes to use and adapt to what we were learning rather than starting from scratch. I also found Kahoot! to be useful for extended homeroom at the beginning of the school year and other times where I needed to entertain students beyond the normal class period. I really like the resources that you provided for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, this is a great post on Kahoot (the platform I also blogged about this week). I, too, used Kahoot a lot in the classroom - though I eventually got a bit Kahooted out and did more Quizlet live (which works in a similar way, but has more team interaction and for some reason, my students did not feel as entitled to prizes after each win, making it more economical!). The more I used either platform, the more creative I was able to get within the matching/multiple choice format. One of my favorites was what I call un-obvious matches, or what does not belong here (or the inverse, what can be grouped together), so that it got students really analyzing the material. Thanks for the added resources!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex and Jennifer, I used to use Kahoot often in the classroom too, but simlar to you, Jennifer, I found that Kahoot got tiresome and moved to Quizlet. Quizlet Live's small group interaction piece, the fact that learners can use Quizlet independently and not just with other learners, and the wide variety of Quizlets banked into the web tool for general use makes Quizlet a well-worn tool for me and my learners. I use Quizlet in the library often to supplement in-class curriculum and the students seem to enjoy the activities. Still, Kahoot is an excellent way to get your feet wet with this type of assessment platform. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used Kahoot all the time as a classroom teacher, and my students LOVED it. I really wish they would have had the feature to use it for homework when I was still in the classroom. The only downfall is that students can only complete a Kahoot for homework through a mobile app.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex, I use Kahoot! in my classroom weekly to review that week's lessons and to review big units. I also blogged about Kahoot! What I like about your blog was the 8 Ways to use Kahoot! and the Beyond the Basics links. Thank you for a very informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved how you can use Kahoot! as a way to test for understanding and be used as an exit slip. It is nice that the teacher can see the individual answers of each student. That allows for assistance with establishing small groups.

    ReplyDelete