Monday, October 29, 2018

Makerspaces in School


Image result for makerspaceMakerspaces are becoming more and more popular in school libraries across the nation. Makerspaces, as defined in the Makerspace Playbook (2013), are "gathering points where communities of new and experienced makers connect to work on real and personally meaningful projects, informed by helpful mentors and expertise, using new technologies and traditional tools." The tools in a makerspace can range from high-tech to low-tech. For example, a high tech tool might be a 3D printer, while a low-tech tool might be crochet needles and yarn. 








Tamiko Brown is a school librarian who writes about Makerspaces in her blog, Makerspace Library. In a post from November 2017 titled Creating A Mobile Makerspace Library Program, she writes about how school librarians can create makerspace kits for teachers to check out and use in their classrooms. 



Image result for makerspace kits


Colin Angevine and Josh Weisgrau (2015) wrote about the makerspace bandwagon in their post Situating Makerspaces in Schools on Hybrid Pedagogy. They argue that successful implementation of makerspaces should be based on "three values of student learning and empowerment: agency, authenticity, and audience" (2015). Tamiko Brown seems to agree with that idea. In her blog she writes about the importance of student voice and choice with makerspaces, stating that successful makerspace activities "strengthen their independent voice" (Brown, 2017). 
Image result for mobile makerspace elementary school



For school librarians who are already involved in the world of makerspaces, consider taking it a step further by creating makerspace check-out kits for your teachers. Brown provides several suggestions on gathering teacher input, promoting student agency, funding materials, scheduling check-outs, and more. 




Resources:

Brown, T. (2017, November 16). Creating a mobile classroom makerspace library program [Blog post]. Retrieved from http://makerspacelibrary.blogspot.com/2017/11/creating-mobile-classroom-makerspace.html

Angevine, C. & Weisgrau, J. (2015, September 24). Situating makerspaces in schools [Blog post]. Retrieved from http://hybridpedagogy.org/situating-makerspaces-in-schools/


Makerspace Team (2013). Makerspace Playbook [PDF document]. Retrieved from  https://makered.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Makerspace-Playbook-Feb-2013.pdf

8 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of creating Makerspace kits. The PE teacher where I work has created take home kits of equipment for the students and it has been really successful. Kits for teachers, or depending on the school, students would provide Makerspace opportunities for students and allow teachers to explore Makerspace in their classrooms. What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the idea of the Makerspace cart. At the school I am currently at, I feel like it is hard to create Makerspace stations and justify the cost of them because students have so little time to use them in the library on the fixed schedule we are on. After the lesson and checking out books, they often only have 5 minutes or so. They also are not allowed to come before or after school to use the stations. Therefore, this would be a great way for them to still get the Makerspace experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog share. I especially like Brown's suggestion links on creating a mobile maker space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, thank you for highlighting the concept of classroom maker kits. I had envisioned creating a Makerspace in my new library, but as the year progresses, I understand that an investment in that static space may not be money well-spent, as the reality is that students often do not have but a few minutes to come by. Teachers keep their students in their classes all day, and with a kit in their rooms, students would certainly have more access! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a great idea to have kits available for teachers to checkout and borrow. I immediately started thinking about how you could link a book to each kit to really highlight the link between literacy and making. You could also specialize some kits to match curriculum standards teachers are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex, I agree that "audience" is a valuable element of makerspaces. By allowing teachers to check out makerspace materials, each maker gets an expanded audience for their work. More opportunities to view different creations leads to inspiration for more creations. Great post! You have me thinking about how teachers can check out makerspace tubs for their classes. It doesn't have to just be in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex, I love the idea of a mobile makerspace. It makes me wonder if classrooms should have a small makerspace built in already. I know space is limited, but I feel like this could be a wonderful tool within the classroom to further student learning and engagement. Funding would also be a necessity. Thank you so much for sharing and giving me another idea to consider when creating a makerspace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Mobile makerspaces! This is such a gold mine idea for saving money and for making the makerspace something that teachers will actually want to use. Accessibility is such an issue with libraries that bringing the library into the classroom absolutely HAS to happen. Love it!

    ReplyDelete